Boco IP will co-host the popular Strategic IP Planning training together with Patentopolis BV this October in Helsinki. After the training the participants will come equipped with theoretical and practical insights on proactive and strategic IP management, having been introduced to a complete toolkit (paper model, methodology, online platform) for strategic thinking and support to design plans with a multi-disciplinary approach. Application of the toolkit is practiced with cases through teamwork sessions and group discussions.
You are an IP Manager, or responsible for IP, and you need:
- Changing your company’s approach as to Intellectual Property (IP) management.
- From operational to long-term
- From ad hoc and opportunistic to proactive and strategic
- From IP being an isolated function to a more integrated, aligned and holistic approach
- Gaining an overview, basic knowledge and practicalities on proactive portfolio management
- Learning new tools and how to apply them to your company.
- For higher integration of IP and business strategy
- For drafting IP/innovation plans and roadmap
- Applicable and customizable to any type of company and industry
Tentative, subject to change:
Tuesday, October 8th (8h45 – 17h30)
- 8h45 Welcome and introduction
Teamwork assignment: “how IP can impact the long-term business strategy”
DIPS toolkit 1: theoretical foundations, plus a simple practical framework (DIPS Matrix) for strategic management of innovation and IP toward higher value capture
- 11h00 Coffee break
- 11h15 Teamwork assignment: apply the toolkit to real-life scenarios
- 12h45 Lunch
- 13h45 DIPS toolkit 2: introducing a structured workflow for designing an IP/innovation plan in 5 steps.
Strategy-making as a project: insights from project management, scoping, and team setup
Application of DIPS workflow to a case study (renewable energy) step by step.
Step 1: understanding and influencing the company vision; internal alignment between business goals and IP (lecture, teamwork, feedback).
- 15h40 Tea break
- 16h00 Step 2: competition analysis (market data, others’ IP) (lecture, teamwork, feedback)
- 17h30 End of Day 1
Wednesday, October 9th (8h30 – 16h00)
- 8h30 Step 3: portfolio gap analysis, and identifying first options to bridge current-desired IP position (lecture, teamwork, feedback)
Step 4: SWOT analysis, generating and assessing strategy options, deriving roadmap, defining performance metrics and assessing budget (lecture, teamwork, feedback)
- 11h00 Coffee break
- 11h15 Step 5: integration into an IP plan and roadmap (lecture)
- 12h00 Lunch
- 13h30 Reapplying the DIPS tools: Identifying and facing complexity in situations. Flexibility of DIPS tools. Gradual approach with real-life situations
Teamwork or self-reflection (with support from Boco team if you like): identify generic situations, first diagnostic, and design solutions using DIPS tools.
Final recommendations and tips. Roundtable
- 16h00 End of Day 2
Your speaker is Dr Arnaud Gasnier, owner and CEO of Patentopolis BV. He is also the author of ‘The Patenting Paradox’ and regular speaker at global conferences and seminars especially in the area of strategic IP management. Arnaud is regularly awarded, recently with IAM 300 – The World’s Leading IP Strategists (2017, 2018).
This training is in English.
Participation fee is 2 200 € + VAT, including all training material and access to DIPS online platform for 30 days. Lunch and refreshments are included in the fee.
For more information about the event, or for discounts in case there are several participants from the same company, please contact :
Consulting Director Petri Nieminen
Telephone: +358 9 6866 8412 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For registration please send an email to: email@example.com. We will be in contact upon receiving your registration.