A freedom to operate analysis is a comprehensive account of the margins within which a company is free to operate and of the patents of competitors within the environment of immaterial property rights.
Analyzing the freedom to operate of a company assures the safety of business activities and prevents patent disputes.
A freedom to operate analysis
- makes an extensive determination of a company’ immaterial freedom to operate in relation to third parties.
- provides a very specific picture of the patents and protections held by competitors within defined product groups.
- provides security when moving into marketing areas and aids in the defence of one’s own immaterial rights.
- prevents unintentional patent infringements and thus extra expenses resulting from these disputes.
- helps to correctly target product development and resources, for example, into products having wider freedoms to operate.