Registration provides the right to prevent others from using similar marks and, at the same time, decreases the legal risks relating to using a mark. If a mark is not registered, then in practice it is freely available for the use of others.
- are an important part of the brand and marketing of a company.
- protect investments in the development work of products and brands and prevent others from taking advantage of the reputation of these brands.
- reduce the risk of infringement complaints presented by others.
- should be protected within the entire EU area by registering the marks as EU trademarks.
- in order to determine if there are risks associated with the use or registration of a mark, a preliminary examination is included as an essential part of our trademark services.
Trademarks in the European Union – Community Trade Marks (CTM)
The European Union (EU) is a market of more than 500 million consumers. The Community Trade Mark (CTM) is an ideal tool to tackle this market. The CTM gives its owner a uniform right which is applicable in all member states of the EU*.
Our trade mark professionals’ solid know-how on the CTM system gives us the pleasure to offer our assistance and services to you or your clients for trade mark matters in the EU. As professional representatives before the OHIM (Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market), we may assist you with the prosecution of all CTM applications as well as with oppositions, renewals and other CTM matters.
A registered CTM may be renewed every 10 years counted from the date of filing. Genuine use of the mark within the EU is necessary to secure exclusive rights to the trade mark.
As with any other new trade mark, we recommend that adequate searches be conducted prior starting use, or filing an application for the mark. Please contact us for further details.
* the current 28 member states are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
Let us help you! Leave us your contact information and our experts will be in touch.